Kellysbookspill

Kellysbookspill

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey

Afraid of a zombie apocalypse? Well try an alien apocalypse… I think i'll take my chances with the zombies!

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey is set in the middle of an alien apocalypse, and the aliens have set to destroy earth in 5 waves. In the start of the book, 4 of the waves have already taken place, and we are following the main character Cassie as she explains what happened to her and her family within the waves. Without being spoilery, the book follows her journey of trying to get back to her younger brother who was taken to a camp that she believes is being run by the invaders.

I was thrilled to dive into this book, as I love a good survival book, and for the most part is did live up to expectation. Yancey did a great job of developing the main character, and I loved that while she was a fairly young girl, she was extremely tough. Nothing was going to stop her in her journey to find her brother. I knew in this book Cassie would either find her brother or die trying. I feel Yancey did a fantastic job with all of the characters in the book, and there were very few that I just didn't care for.

Yancey also did a wonderful job at really making me fear something like this actually happening. The aliens in this book are way more advanced than the current world, and throughout the book I was constantly asking myself if I could really trust some of the characters just like Cassie was. You never really knew who was going to be a good guy and who wasn't. That in itself made the story that much more intriguing.

The one thing I did not like about the book is the romance aspect. Cassie meets a boy around midway through the book, and I overall thought there romance was slightly odd. I never trusted him throughout most of the book, and then when i finally do trust him at the end of the book the story ends with me thinking there will be a love triangle in the sequel. Love triangles can get extremely irritating if not done right. I had a really hard time getting through the middle section of the book due to the slow romance parts.

Other than that I thought the book was very good, and I look forward to seeing it in movie form! I think it is really going to freak me out! Bring on the zombies... aliens can just stay where they are!